You are one of several groups of settlers in a new land claiming resources and space for yourself. By building settlements, roads and cities you gain more resources and trade those with others to expand your civilization. Beware the robber, he can steal precious resources and stop up your production!
Overall Rating: 8.2Luck Strategy Casual Intense Complex Simple
17 The Settlers of Catan Reviews Add Review
- This is a great game. Still fun even after years of playing. It's amazing how a game that lacks any violence can still be so intense!
- An old classic by now. Its easy to get worked up in this game if there are some competitive people around. Fun to play, but can be intimidating to learn the first time around.
- Perfect board game! If there was one totally well-rounded, strategic fun board game out there- this would be it! I can play this game any time of the day!
- This is in my opinion the best board game created. With the variety that the expansions afford, I find it difficult to imagine ever tiring of the game. The game is not the ideal for socializing.
- Enjoyable game. I've played it for years. Not a huge fan of luck/dice games, but this one is still engaging.
- Best way to get someone started in boardgaming. Very easy to understand and, although very luck driven, has enough strategy in it. One player will always end up screaming and raging. Dices are evil.
- Definitely the game that started it all. However, the base game does get dull after 30 + plays. Make sure you have the right people to play with (those who like to bargain). Watch out for the robber!
- The game that started me gaming. It doesn't hit the table much anymore because I've since moved on to greener pastures, but it's still a solid game that's great for new gamers.
- Just an overall great game experience. Great balance between luck of the dice and strategy.
- Settlers is well on its way to becoming the new Monopoly. It is game that everyone should play! Great for family game night or competitive groups. Tons of strategy and a blast to play!
- Still a fun game after all these years. With trading and some decent strategy, you can minimize the luck factor. But, sometimes the dice just don't roll your way.
- This is the THE game you want to use to rope your friends into playing the better games you've got stowed away. Serious gamers will soon tire of Catan, but it deserves credit as a great ambassador.
- Amazingly well balanced game. No matter how you start all of the players are in immediate contention with each other which makes this game intense and highly competitive.
- I agree this is a great intro game. This gets game play for me with my mom who really likes this game because everyone's play and dice roll affects your game without being cutthroat.
- I've had this game for 5 years, it's still a regular in my gaming rotating. Best with 3 players, gets crowded with 4 but still works well. Good social aspect with trading resources, a must own game!
- The game that brought me into a new world of board games. Still a classic favorite. But we've added various expansions to inhance game play (i.e. Fish from Traders and Barbarians).
- Great game. Can get kind of intense depending on who you play with. Negotiation is key. Definitely recommend expansions for replay value!
Similar Games View More
- Kingdom Builder
- Stone Age